Specialist Clinical Pharmacist
The Lister Hospital, London
37.5 hours per week
Shifts - 8.30-4.30pm, 9-5pm, 11-7pm. Saturdays, Bank Holidays and On Calls on a rota basis and generally 1 : 3.
Salary Competitive + Benefits (pension, health cover, flexible benefits and excellent career development)
Within the Pharmacy department there is a small team of 8 who cover many areas for the hospital. It has a high turn over of outpatient requirements covering Surgical. ITU, Medical, Urgent Care and also the Lister Fertility Clinic.
This role is a great development opportunity for someone from a retail or mixture with hospital background as you will get the opportunity to learn the cross functions of the different areas and be offered the chance to additional training and develop your career.
• To actively participate in the implementation, training and maintenance of any automation and standardisation of processes within the organization.
• Compliance to KPIs and reporting, safety and training initiatives implemented within the department and organization.
• To provide a pharmacy service in line with GPhC/ RPS/ HCA and national guidelines
• Ensure correct all medication management processes are adhered to from procurement to medication destruction.
• To provide advice and support to other junior pharmacy staff, other healthcare professionals within and outside the hospital, most importantly to the patients.
• To support the deputy pharmacy manager but proactively leading in some of the audits, clinical cover and training.
• To deputise in the department in the absence of the deputy pharmacy manager with the day to day operational work.
• To ensure that you have completed ITU postgraduate course and are undertaking the non-medical prescribing course within a year of your employment into this post if this has not already been achieved.
• Provide an inpatient and outpatient pharmacy service competently and accurately in line with polices, SOPs and guidelines.
• Participate in induction of other pharmacy staff.
• Provide supervision to dispensing technicians and ensure in line with responsible pharmacist’s role and responsibilities.
• Participate in team meetings and minute taking
• Maintain accurate records/documentation of all pharmacy activities which includes screening endorsements, handover, medical notes, interventions, audits and medication information enquiries including on-call/out of hours documentation.
• Ensure that all charges are captured for pharmacy services
In order to perform this role to experienced worker standard the post holder will need:
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
• Registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council
• Additional post graduate clinical qualifications e.g. Cert. Clinical Pharmacy
• Post graduate diploma or working towards
• Minimum 2 years hospital experience
• Experience for specialist areas e.g. Orthopedics, General Medicine, Critical Care/ HDU and General surgery.
• Knowledge of relevant hospital policies and procedures
• Health and Safety training
PROBLEM SOLVING ABILITY
• Early recognition of problems and to seek advice as appropriate
• Deal with enquiries from consultants, staff and patients and refer as necessary
• Dealing with discrepancies on supply issues
• Solving clinical pharmacy issues in patient care
SPHERE OF INFLUENCE
• Liaison with consultants, managers, all healthcare staff and patients.
• To demonstrate care and dedication
• Influence over consultant’s prescribing
• To be efficient and professional in representing the organisation
RISK AND RESPONSIBILITY
• Maintain a high level of clinical practice in accordance with legal and professional requirements
• To take responsibility for own practice, in accordance with professional and hospital guidelines/protocols
• To prevent risk
• Supervision of technicians dispensing
• Maintain confidentiality
• To maintain equipment
• To keep up to date with current procedures/knowledge
• To maintain accurate records
SKILLS AND EFFORT
• Good verbal and non verbal communication skills
• Supervisory skills
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Good team player
• Ability to work under pressure
• Evidence of updating clinical skills/knowledge
• Customer care skills
• PC skills and adapt to different information technology software within the organization e.g. ICIP, Meditech.