We need a Pharmacy Technician to join our team in the Falkland Islands.
This a wonderful opportunity to expand your professional skill mix whilst enjoying life in a unique location with unprecedented access to nature. Previous hospital experience, whilst advantageous, is not essential; we welcome applications from community-based pharmacy technicians.
Stanley, Falkland Islands
- Full Time, 2-year Fixed Term Contract
- £26,211- £30,214 (depending on qualifications and experience) rising to £32,367
- Relocation allowance
- 25% gratuity, 41 days leave, flights package, government housing, favourable income tax rates
The King Edward VII Memorial Hospital (KEMH) in the Falkland Islands has an opportunity for a Pharmacy Technician to join the team in the Pharmacy.
Working as part of a small team that is fully integrated with the wider hospital mutli-disciplinary team you will undertake routine dispensing activities but also participate in ward-based functions and back office tasks as required. In addition, unique elements of the role include supplying patients with prescriptions up to 100 miles away via the local air service, as well as maintaining a network of medical chests in the remote parts of the islands.
Registered as a Pharmacy Technician with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) or with an equivalent registration body in another country you will be in possession of a level 3 qualification in pharmacy services, or an equivalent qualification from another country.
You will work as one of two pharmacy technicians based in the hospital. Reporting to the pharmacist, you will deal with all aspects of pharmaceutical care that are required for the local population.
As the only hospital in the Islands, our supportive and experienced team provide healthcare to the entire population. This will on occasion require creative thinking in dealing with unfamiliar situations.
The successful applicant should:
- Be in possession of a Level 3 qualification in Pharmacy Services or equivalent qualification.
- Be registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC), or equivalent national registration.
- Have at least 5 year’s post-registration experience working in a relevant setting.
- Be able to work autonomously, and take independent decisions when needed.
- Have experience of running or providing a smoking cessation service.
- Be able to understand the benefits and challenges of living and working remotely in a small, close-knit community.
- Be flexible and able to adapt to different ways of working.
- 2-year Fixed Term Contract
- Starting Salary £26,211- £30,214 (depending on qualifications and experience) rising to £32,367
- Eligibility for a 25% Gratuity paid upon successful completion of the contract.
- 41 days paid leave, 30 days paid annual leave plus 11 government and public holidays
- Relocation Allowance to help with moving costs
- Flights Package for you and recognised dependents at the beginning and the end of contract, plus additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract
- Government Housing for rent and a starter pack to help you settle in.
Life on the Falkland Islands
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore
The Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
Ready for a major change? Come join us. The Falklands are a stimulating and supportive setting to work in and a unique and beautiful setting to live in!
How to apply for the role:
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, click “apply” today and you will be directed to the company website where you will be able to submit an application form.
You must be authorised to work in the UK. No agencies please.
Closing date: 31 March 2023
Other suitable skills and experience include Pharmacy, Pharmacy Technician, Pharmacy Assistant, NHS, Medical, Health, Falkland Islands