Under the direct supervision of the Pharmacy manager, the Pharmacist processes prescriptions in prescription software, prepare medication compounding sheets, program infusion pumps all in preparation for pharmacist to review. The Pharmacist will assist in the final check of prescriptions, receive phone calls including verbal orders and assist with tasks within scope to ensure smooth operations of pharmacy.
Please note: You will work 3 days per week.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the in maintaining federal, provincial, and local laws, accrediting body standards, and Policies and Procedures (P&Ps).
- Assists in entering prescriptions into the prescription software (Kroll), and filling/billing such prescriptions
- Schedules patient for repeat medications
- Assists in preparing compounding sheets for the preparation of medication
- Assists in programming infusion pumps for medication delivery and preparing other devices
- Assists in the preparation and labeling of medications as allowed by law.
- Receives and transcribes verbal prescriptions (with the exception of narcotics, controlled drugs, benzodiazepines and targeted substances) from prescribers ensuring prescription completeness; and provide prescription transfers
- Package and dispense prescription medications after a pharmacist has decided on the appropriateness of therapy by confirming accuracy, completeness and final check of compounded sterile products & prepared prescriptions prepared for release (i.e. correct patient, drug dosage form/route, dose, doctor, etc.)
- Checking the final compounded sterile product for the absence of particulate matter and container integrity
- Ensuring prescription(s) gets matched to the right delivery in good timing to shipping.
- Assists in filling refill medications through the prescription software (Kroll)
- Communicates appropriately with all members of the healthcare team.
- Maintains pharmacy records including filing and documenting required information on dispensing records.
- Cleans work areas routinely in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Documents appropriately according to P&Ps, all activities using required paperwork (logs)
- Participates in Performance Improvement and Quality Assurance activities education programs and department/branch meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
· Pharmacist Certificate/Diploma from an accredited institution is preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
· Registered with the College of Pharmacists and in good standing
· Experience in a busy community pharmacy setting or specialty pharmacy setting is preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities
· Organized and disciplined; basic computer skills.
· The employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
· The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, and use hands to mix drugs, use computer and other equipment and reach with hands and arms.
· Vision requirements include close vision, color vision, night vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
· Lifting required as per employee capacity, employee must notify Supervisor regarding any health issues that may affect ability to lift.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles
· The employee may be occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals
· The employee occasionally works near moving parts. The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate